Sunday, April 6, 2014

The epidemics of the century

Illustration of bubonic plague in the Bible (1411)


      What is a more horrible thing than a war? I think that it is an epidemic. After I read the article “London Skeletons Reveal Secrets of the Black Death” from The Washington Post, I became interested in an epidemic. I was surprise after knowing the fact that the obvious effect of the Black Death was the major decline in population, not a war. A few years ago, a virus affected and killed a few Korean people. At that time, I got scared even though only a few people were dead. Because of the Black Death killed over a third of the population of European people, I cannot imagine how serious the situation was back then.
     How many times have epidemics happened in the history of mankind? What kind of epidemic was there in human history? How did the epidemics change the human history?  

6 comments:

  1. This will be fascinating. I will look forward to following your discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting! I remembered that I learned about it when I was in high school. I think it will be more interesting that not only focusing on historical side, but also comparing with other countries. Good luck!- Seiko Sugahara

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very interesting thought to follow.
    Have you thought about connecting it to modern weapons such as bioweapons and how they could bring about new, unexplored epidemics?
    Janina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great topic for a blog in that it is such an important part of human history, and one that most people, including myself, know little about. I too am interesting to learn more about what kind of epidemics have made their impact on us throughout the course of history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a very relevant subject, I've been keeping myself updated on news about an Ebola outbreak in Africa. Maybe you could do a blog about that. I know a little about the disease I don't think it is as contagious as the black plague, but it is a very terrible disease much like the black death, and probably could become an epidemic. I know it is contained but the death toll is rising from what I've been reading on Wikipedia the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you opened our eyes on very serious enemy to the mankind.

    ReplyDelete